Saturday, June 15, 2013

Today I Welcome Author Lynne Stringer

Good morning, Lynne. Welcome to my blog. Please tell us about yourself.

I have been passionate about writing all my life. I was the editor of a small newspaper (later magazine) for seven years, and currently work as a professional editor and proofreader. I wrote my YA sci-fi romance novel, The Heir, in 2010. The Heir is the first book in the Verindon trilogy.

Please tell me about your novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it?

The Heir was inspired by a pick up line. My husband loves to look around for the worst pick up lines because he thinks they're really funny (fortunately, he doesn't use them on anyone!) and one day when he was discussing some, I thought of the line that says, "You are the only reason I was put on this planet." I thought, what if someone said that to a girl and he meant it literally? What would be the implications of that?

What are some of your favorite genres to read and to write?
I love science fiction and I love romance. Any fantasy romance is right up my alley. I also like historical stories based on real events, but romance seems to be a must for all my favourite novels.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What was the biggest compliment? Did those change how or what you did in your next novel?

This is my first novel, and it did receive some criticism from an editor early in the process. It's always hard to read things from someone when they have been critical of your baby. Most of what she said proved helpful and benefited the book once I got past the emotional side of it. I think the best compliment I've received so far was when I saw a friend for the first time since she finished my book, and she came straight up to me and shook me, saying, "Where is The Crown?" The Crown is the sequel to The Heir, and she is desperate to read it to see what happens next!

When you sit down to write, do you do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper or do you use a computer? Do you prefer one way or the other?

I use a computer. I hate writing longhand. Not to mention that I usually alter all kinds of things, and it would get messy if I was writing longhand!

Compared to when you first started writing, have you notice any big changes in your writing style or how you write compared from then to now?

I've learned to cut the excess words down a lot. When I wrote my latest manuscript I noticed a significant difference in how I was wording it because I had a better understanding of how to do it. It made the whole process a lot quicker and easier.

What has been your favorite part of being an author? What has been your least favorite?

I like it when people come up to me and say they enjoyed the book. I haven't liked what I've had to do to promote it. I did my first signing in a bookstore the other day, and it's difficult for an introvert to engage strangers in conversation.


When you walk into a book store, where do you head to first? Why?

The sci-fi, fantasy section.

Did you get to quit your day job and become an author or do you still have a day job and writing is something you do for fun? If you still have a day job, what is it?

No, I still have two day jobs. I also do some editing on the side. Writing doesn't make much money; not yet, anyway.

Besides writing and reading, what is your most favorite thing to do?

Spend time with my family.

Who was your current novel dedicated to? Any particular reason?

It's dedicated to five friends of mine. They were the first to read The Heir and it was their belief in it that made me try and get it published. If it wasn't for them, it probably would have stayed on my computer.




No comments:

Post a Comment